Saturday 9 July 2016

Euro Mountain biking

Whilst there are problems and whilst it is hard to reach decisions with well over 20 countries, Europe has achieved many things which are perhaps taken for granted or missed when not living in central Europe. One is the free travel. Last weekend and this weekend we went to Austria which is less than an hour from Munich. The border sign is easy to miss (Simon was surprised that we were already in Austria), our money is valid in Austria and I could easily live in Austria. I am old enough to know how it was before and to me all this, despite its problems, is an almost revolutionary achievement. And additionally this has given peace to nations that were frequently at war with each other. I leave it to you to deduce what I think about Brexit...

Moving on. After Simon's and my great climbing weekend I fancied some mountain biking in the Alps and went to Pertisau at the Achensee. 
 I cycled a tour described in a local mountain bike guide with my new hardtail Scott. 
 First I had to descend to 500 m only to then climb and climb to 1900 m.
 Here is the starting point...
 ... and here is the Achensee.
 Easy cycling on roads to Stans...
 ... and then nearly 1500 m up to the Lansenjochhuette in the Karwendel. Add to that a rocky path and so clumsy me had to push for an hour as suggested in the book. After that another climb over 500 m, a steep and lose descent to arrive at the car after over 50 kms.
HW

No comments:

Post a Comment